Welcome Letter to Families and Community – September 2018
Welcome to the 2018-19 school year! We start the year with excitement and anticipation. Students are learning, engaged in their work, and supported by an excellent staff. We are committed to providing a caring, respectful and inclusive school environment. For our South Lane SD and school community – Children Come First!
Some key things we want you to know as we start the school year:
- Student Success – Early Childhood to College/Career
- District’s Commitment to Teaching, Learning and Relationships
- Bond Update – Investments in our Schools
Student Success – Early Childhood to College/Career
- Early Childhood – The new Early Learning Center on the campus of the new Harrison Elementary School will be a learning environment that brings together several early childhood programs – Head Start, EC Cares, and South Lane’s Family Resource Center, Peggy’s Primary Connection.
- This year our elementary schools will be implementing a new social/emotional curricula from Sanford Harmony. The program includes themes that are the same for each grade level – Diversity & Inclusion, Empathy & Critical Thinking, Communication, Problem Solving, and Peer Relations.
- Our afterschool enrichment programs that we started last year through our Measure 98 funding will continue this school year at Lincoln Middle School. Last year over 260 students participated in 23 different classes.
- Last year at Cottage Grove High School through College Now, in which students are dually enrolled at both CGHS and a community college, students earned $350,000 worth of college credit. Our College Now courses will continue this year as will our investment in our Career Technical Education classes where through grants and community partnerships we have seen over $70,000 invested in those programs in the last year.
- Students at Al Kennedy High School are settling in for year two at their new campus at Delight Valley and will enjoy a brand new home economics room with new cabinets, ovens, refrigerator, stainless steel prep sinks and floor.
District’s Commitment to Teaching, Learning and Relationships
Our challenge this year is how do we continue to provide and improve the quality of the teaching, learning, and relationships for all of our students?
- We do this by continuing to provide opportunities for students to learn and grow in an environment that is safe, respectful, and inclusive.
- We continue to develop and strengthen a learning culture – where we learn from each other.
- We continue the district’s efforts to support professional development for our staff.
- We continue our support for instructional leadership for both our teacher leaders and administrators.
- We continue to assist the support staff – those that work so closely with students or support our work – to gain the repertoire and skills to provide a learning and caring environment for students.
- We continue to invite and enrich the connections we have with our parents and families, and community members – our school community.
- Most importantly, we continue to honor, learn from, and value the gifts that each student brings to us.
Bond Update – Investments in our Schools
We have made significant progress toward fulfilling our promises to the community. In addition to the construction and opening of the new Harrison Elementary School and the building renovation for the Early Learning Center, we have completed:
- Safety and Security upgrades across the district
- Roof replacements and plumbing/electrical upgrades
- Increased energy efficiency in our buildings
- New/Upgraded technology infrastructure and hardware
- Facility improvements to accommodate Al Kennedy High School
- General maintenance and site improvements
On Sept 10th, the School Board received an update on the estimated funds remaining to continue our bond work and priorities. Costs estimates for the priorities will be provided to the Board at their October meeting.
- Renovation of our community pool, including a warm water/therapy pool
- Entry/vestibule construction and safety improvements at Lincoln MS
- New HVAC system for Bohemia ES
- Funding for deferred maintenance
- Old Harrison Elementary – demolition/use
Thank you for the warm welcome to the district and the privilege to serve your children, families and community.
Larry Sullivan, PhD